Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gender and self censorship in a free press

Of course there is freedom of the press in Samoa/
Although there are constraints that hinder a full appreciation of press freedom, I still believe that Samoa enjoys free press and a healthy media.
So on what basis do I say this? I say this on the basis that I, a Samoan Journalist am able to write on any issue or topic daily without the intrusion or obstruction of the forces that be, the Government or certain arms of the law.
This is a rare privilege of occupation or passion in my case. But freedom of the press cannot be discussed without a consideration of the gender of a Journalist. During the JAWS Editors Forum, I enlightened our participants to the fact that women Journalists certainly face a stigma or discrimination that our male counterparts will not necessarily feel.
I speak for instance, of my early days in Journalism, a bright eyed, young Journo, keen to please the Editor and get my hands on any piece of news I can get. I was slowly, but surely developing what my Journalism Lecturer referred to as a ‘nose for news.’ Unfortunately for me, my mere appearance worked against my keenness and ‘nose,’ so to speak. The fact that I am half-caste (others may call it fake-palagi), that I am short (others may call it fikipu’u), I was small in size (others may call it underfed), under 25 and a woman really did not help my case. Those characteristics translated to inexperienced, immaturity, or even intrusion. The first Politician I interviewed asked a fellow Journalist: “Who is the little girl,” he said with a smirk. Because of my physical features working against me, I found I had to work hard and sharpen my writing skills to undermine the pre-existing misconceptions that plagued those of my gender. So in this case, it is fair to conclude that my perception of freedom of the press differed slightly to that of a male or a somewhat taller or more matured looking female Journalist. Today, some seven odd years later, I am still small, now just 25, still white, still female, but now with a better view of press freedom.
Indeed I now exercise that freedom daily in my work as News Editor, Foreign Correspondent and Feature Writer, and frankly, I love it!
Although freedom of the press exists, it does not deter from the fact that freedom of expression and freedom of information are not highly implemented nor advocated in Samoa. Seeing that our Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister are advocates of free press, there is no doubt they would agree to the encouragement of these two fundamental aspects of democracy.
The Press itself is one of the founding pillars of democratic Samoa, and Journalists, Editors and Media Owners sustain the existence of this foundation. But in saying that, we do have an obligation to the public, to our readers, listeners and watchers to be accurate, unbiased and seek the truth above all else. We have the ability to make a difference in our society, through our pen (these days a laptop or blackberry). We, through our work as informants, can contribute to ensuring that concepts such as transparence, accountability and good governance are observed and do materialize.
I would like to pay tribute to Savea Sano Malifa, who recognizes this, that the press plays an important role in democratic Samoa and the freedom of any society. Savea paved the way for a free press in Samoa, his stubborn journalistic persistence has given us the freedom to write accurate reports freely without fear of unfair repercussions. I would like to thank him for inspiring me to become what I am today, a passionate Journalist, fearless and yet like him, stubborn still.
I would also like to acknowledge the new breed of young, vibrant and ardent Journalists, you are what Samoa needs. The path of a Journalist is hard, it is long and winding, but well worth every step.
We must never forget that we are the voice of the voiceless, that freedom of the press is really the freedom of our people, not the Journalist, not the Editor nor the media Owner. We should never forget this fact, that what we print and broadcast will influence the lives of real people, so we must, regardless of all possible obstacles, strive to be accurate and uphold integrity in every word we write and utter.

May free press continue to prevail in Samoa

No comments: